Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Trading in Panic for Peace

Overwhelmed!  That's how I have been feeling over the past few days.  I have only been back to work for a couple of weeks now, but it hasn't taken too long for me to feel like I am drowning in a turbulent sea of work, responsibilities, marking, diapers, planning, cooking, and stress.  At times, I feel like I am a sleep-deprived juggler who just can't let one of the balls drop or disaster will occur (I can be so dramatic)!

I even went to work one day with the contents of my daughter's diaper smeared all over my blouse, and I didn't even realize until I got to my classroom.  I tried to clean it off of course, but I smelled like a dirty bum all day!  So gross!

Everything seems important and everyone needs my attention!  It's easy for me to be so busy and distracted that I don't take time for the most important things.  In the past, spending time with my God and allowing His word to refocus me has been my sanity.  It's amazing how His presence can calm my anxieties and bring me peace, despite my crazy schedule and unending lists. 

This week, I have been reminded once again that what I think or society thinks is most important, isn't necessarily what God thinks.  God values relationships and people.  He cares more about my relationship with Him and my heart-how I treat my students, how I show them patience (believe me-I've got some students this year that push me to the limit), forgiveness, and fairness, rather than how many curriculum expectations I've covered.

My goal over the coming weeks is to be more like Mary (from the Bible) and to soak up the wisdom of God's word rather than to succumb to the "striving" and "Martha busyness" of this world, which can really swallow us whole.  Resting instead of striving.  Peace instead of panic.  Story books and cuddles instead of marking and stress!

My simple prayer tonight:  God help me to spend my time in ways that honour you.  Help me to remember the purposes you have placed in my heart and to stay focused on them.  Give me strength, wisdom, and perseverance to love, as you do, in all situations.

2 comments:

  1. So true!! I can also let things become overwhelming for me, trying to do it all and be it all! I've been learning to make time for the important things in the big picture of what God has called me to, and I've learned to let things slide. Yes, my house seems to be full of clutter a lot of times and the laundry piles up - but when I hear laughter and see smiles - it's worth it!! Thanks for your thoughts and encouragment, I love the idea of being more like Mary too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, a familiar thought over here. I believe a little less expectation on ourselves and a little more of the "lamp to our feet" is just the thing that will allow us to breathe.
    Love your blog, Jolanna! Keep writing!

    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete