Monday, April 4, 2011

Love letter to my love

Marriage is like a work of art!  I can't remember where I heard this quote, but 10 years into marriage, I am starting to understand it.  The marriage relationship can be so deep and fulfilling, but also challenging.  A good marriage doesn't just happen.   A master piece isn't just created overnight!  A master artist is very thoughtful and purposeful as he creates his work.  Every stroke, every colour, every line is chosen with care.  A marriage takes work too!



UNCONDITIONAL LOVE (following Christ's example)
QUICK to FORGIVE
SELF-CONTROL (especially when it comes to holding your tongue)
PATIENCE 
LONG-SUFFERING or in today's terms COMMITMENT
SERVING (Oh, a tough one I know)
ACTS of KINDNESS
BEING FAITHFUL/LOYAL
COMMUNICATION (tricky for guys sometimes or maybe us gals just need to be quiet and listen)


Two imperfect people coming together to share a life.  Along the journey, there are sure to be valleys and bumps that can cause strain.  Seasons of  joy and pain...kids, diapers, inlaws, financial stress, job stress, diapers, dogs, sickness, diapers...

We met in youth group and I was smitten with his gentle voice and sweetness!  But, I was very focused on my studies.  He pursued me and actually stole my car keys and refused to give them back until I agreed to go on a date with him.  Very persistent!

I remember that first date.  My little sister tagged along too with the encouragement of my father.  "Make sure you have her home by 10:00,"  my mother called as we walked towards the door.  "3 hours should be enough time to have dinner and watch a movie," added my father.  We dined at a really classy, fancy restaurant.  Ever head of  Swiss Chalet?  Some things never change. LOL!   It's still a family favourite today.  We watched Father of the Bride.  How fitting!  And so the romance began....


We dated for just over 4 years right through my university years.  The plan was for me to finish Teacher's College and then we would get married.  So, I was completely surprised when he popped the question on that chilly December day, way ahead of schedule.  His little poem was so cute and he kneeled down ever so gently.  The last line of his poem read "will you marry me?"  Of course, I exclaimed "yes!"  We held hands in excitement, hearts pounding, and our engagement began....

I remember that sunny July day when we were wed.  We were young-22 to be exact.  "Too young to get married,"  some chided.  The ceremony was worshipful.  We wanted to acknowledge the one who brought us together and would keep us together. 

We sang.  We prayed.  We vowed.  We kissed.  We walked into the church as individuals and walked out joyously as one!

My favourite part of the day was the horse and buggy ride through the city to the mountain brow.  It was a slow, peaceful ride to the escarpment, and we sat excitedly just the 2 of us, planning the rest of our life together.  The rest of the day seems to be a blur, but I hold that carriage ride dear to my heart.  I remember every part, every soft tender word spoken so vividly. 

This is my love letter to my love. 

After 10 years of marriage (this past July), this is my top 10 reasons why I love you babe!

#!.  I love the way you gently hold my hand in the car, in the church pew or walking through the mall.  You are the perfect combination of strength and tenderness.

#2.  I love your chocolate chip pancakes on Sunday mornings (and so do the kids)!  You can keep those coming!

#3.  I love your laugh,  Hearing it makes my heart smile.

#4.  I love that you put your family first.  Leaving a job you love so you won't have to travel anymore shows your sacrifical heart.

#5  I love how hardworking you are.  Thank you for getting up every day at 5:00 a.m. to provide for our family.  I know the commute can be stressful and the days are long.

#6  I love how playful you are with the kids.  It's so sweet to see you playing dress up, making towers, shooting basketballs, colouring, and having tea parties with our kiddies.  No dad has ever been loved more than you.  The kids adore you!

#7  I love that you are a faithful, loyal husband.  I don't have to worry about you having a wandering eye or being unfaithful.  This makes me feel secure, desired, and loved.

#8  I love that you are wise with our money (we won't bring up all those bikes).  You make careful decisions and are a good steward of what God has given us.  What peace in that security!

#9  I love that you are a man of character.  You are trustworthy, a man of your word.  I know you always do what is right.

#10.  I love that you drove all day and night to come to Washington to rescue me when I was pregnant, stranded, and all the flights were cancelled for the next week.  You are so thoughtful, and you make me feel safe.

#11.  I love that you are a man of conviction.  In a generation where so many men are lowering their standards, you remain steadfast.  You have kept our standards high e.g. not drinking, not watching inappropriate movies.  I appreciate the boundaries you have set and consistently live by.

#12  I love that strong arm (inside joke) that holds me and keeps our little family safe!

#13  I love the thoughtful surprises e.g. muffins from Tim's, spontanteous back massages, trips to the spa.  You make me feel so loved and special.

#14  I love the way you support me in raising, loving, and discipling our kids.  It's great to have a partner to share this mighty undertaking with.  We make a terrific team!

#15  I love how you have stepped up to be the spiritual head of our home.  I am encouraged when you pray for me, our kids, and our future.  You are investing into the kids when you lead the family devotions.  Thank you for your steadfast godly example.

Wow!  That is more than 10.  You sound like a saint.  You are as close to perfect as they come baby!

I love you Jeffy!

 your baby doll

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a beautiful love story. May God richly bless both of you as you journey together on your amazing adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that beautiful day so well!! I remember thinking that you two were so in love and praying I would find that myself one day:) And that I did!! I think Jeff and Mathew would make great friends, they sound identical!!! lol

    ReplyDelete