Thursday, April 14, 2011

Am I fat?

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Don't judge by his appearance or height, for I have rejected him. The LORD doesn't see things the way you see them. People judge by outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."

Weight!  Isn't it crazy how everyone is obsessed with this!  Whether it is tv commercials or magazines, our society is weight crazed!  Pills, shakes, herbs, exercise programs, diets, cleanses, reality tv shows, eat meat, don't eat meat, skip the dairy, la la la....  

We read about it.

We watch shows about it.

We chat about it.

We are a society focused on the outward appearance.  There is so much pressure on women to fit into an unrealistic mold.  We put skinny women up on a pedestal and say "she's beautiful."  

But, is she really happy?  

Will being stick thin bring me deep lasting joy?  

What kind of message does this send to our little girls?

I know many skinny, fit women who are not happy.  True joy is not dependent on weight.

After 2 babies and several love marks (stretch marks) later, I definitely find myself thinking about my weight.  I do believe it is important to be healthy and within a healthy weight range, but....

As a christian, should my mind be focused so much on myself and how I look?  

Does God want me to be spending all my time worrying about the number on the scale?

Is God's plan for me to be unhappy and depressed because I don't fit society's ideal?

Is it okay to have an extra ponch in the front? 

Is my value as a person dependent on my size?

As women, we are bombarded with so many unrealistic images and messages about how we should look and what size we should be.  Sometimes there is even pressure from family members to lose weight which can be especially hurtful.

God loves and values you because you are you. 

You are His beautiful creation.  

He loves you regardless of your size. 

In a world, where I am constantly seeing and hearing these messages that I don't measure up, I have to remind myself that God's love for me is so much deeper and wider than I can even fathom.  

God sees me, not my size. 
God loves me, not my size.


Ephesians 3:17 says "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and how long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."


How about you?  Do you struggle to overcome society's crazy messages about weight?  


My prayer today:


God help me to see myself the way you do.  Help me to embrace your unconditional love for me, the kind of incredible love that led you to the cross for me and my sins.  Help me to focus on the things that matter to you-my character, how I treat my family and students, how I act when no one else is looking.  Guard my mind and my heart from negative messages that are contrary to your word.  Help me to take captive every thought and focus my energy on being a positive example for my kids, living a healthy lifestyle that pleases you.  Thank you Jesus for your love and strength today.
Amen


This is one of my favourite songs, very appropriate with Easter approaching.  Check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voawjjqg8zw  

2 comments:

  1. I hear you sister. Alex always says and I quote, "Die happy, not skinny!" If we add God to the mix...we can die joyful too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Friend,

    I am with you 100% in this matter. The emphasis of our world is all wrong and I pray I can teach my kids God's way... and by example. But, if I'm going to do that, HE has to continue to heal this area for me. Aren't we so affected by the world's ways? Keeping in His Word is the best way to de-program these thought processes but also, I am really strict with myself to never buy fashion magazines, watch t.v. or movies that will exacerabate this worldview or even frequent the mall.

    You're absolutely right when you write about the inward heart and if you would allow me to speak encouragement into your life, YOU are a gorgeous woman and a fantastic person. Sometimes we need to hear that, even though what goes on in our own minds has to line up with how God sees us. I was recently talking with someone about how beautiful you are :)

    Thank you for writing about this issue, which really IS an issue for many women. It doesn't matter what size you are, the woundedness of low self-esteem usually comes from somewhere in the past and needs to be bound up by Jesus. Praise God it CAN be.

    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete