Friday, May 27, 2011

The Ministry of Motherhood

What does it mean to be a mother? I mean a godly mother?
"The wise women builds her own home, but the foolish one tears hers 
down."  Proverbs 14:1 
 
 
After reading this verse in my devotions yesterday, I began 
thinking about what it means to "build."  It's a verb-an action word. 
(I've just finished teaching verbs to my grade 3 students).  So...
to be wise is to be doing something, taking action, taking steps to 
build up my kids. 
 
As a godly wife and mother, my actions need to be purposeful, 
thought-out and planned.  In light of the ministry of motherhood, 
as a godly mother, I need to be thoughtfully taking action to 
nurture my kids and mold their characters to be like Christ. 
Isn't that what being a mom is all about. 
 
 
We are called to be mentors to our kids, displaying for them an
authentic relationship with Jesus and using every opportunity to
build up their knowledge of who God is and build up their faith. 
 
As godly moms, we are building a foundation for them-hopefully one of 
faith. "The wise man builds his house upon the rock."  Who is our 
rock?  Jesus Christ should be the foundation.  We need to set our 
kiddies up for success by building them a strong foundation. 
 
What kind of planned actions do I need to build into my day? 
 
One thing my husband and I do is a Bible reading with the kids 
at the supper table, and we discuss the lesson, modelling for them
how it applies to their lives.  Now my kids are 3.5 and 18 months, 
but they love it and are eager every night to get to it-a great 
motivator for them to finish their veggies. 
 
It is part of our routine now, and reading this passage this morning
reminded me that it is a valuable practise-one way we are "building 
our home." 
 
Don't just wait until bedtime to do a Bible story, show your kids 
devotions are a priority and try to incorporate it throughout the day.
Teach them about the heroes in the Bible and look for examples/
lessons in the Bible that will apply to their lives in that moment. 
 
Another thing we do is play worship music for them throughout the day. 
I found a great cd at the christian book store that puts bible verses 
to music, and my kids fall asleep at night listening to it.  I think 
it is a great way to get God's word in their minds and hearts. 
 
One last thought...if we are not proactively building our household, 
we may be tearing it down, which is not likely our intention.  Today, 
I will be pondering other ways I can build a strong foundation for my 
kids and point them towards Christ.  Any suggestions for me???

Be blessed!
Jolanna

No comments:

Post a Comment